The National Children’s Book Literacy Alliance has been promising an unbelievable literacy-based, author-rich educational resource throughout the year, based in our person-to-person events held in 2017. The promise is now fulfilled in the form of a Holiday gift for literacy professionals – The Girls Read and Guys Read educational resource!!
The gift can be found at the NCBLA website – here!!
The resource, first and foremost, contains the full-length videos of this years’ “main” events: Heroines in Fact and Fiction and How to Get and Keep Boys Reading. Within these videos, students will hear famous children’s book authors, to include Katherine Paterson, Jack Gantos, and many others speak to their award-winning, acclaimed books, as well as the inspiration and back-story for their writing efforts, opinions on how to encourage young readers, and shared hopes for increasing literacy levels amongst our nation’s youth!!
But, that is just the icing on the cake. Underneath, you will find much more, to include:
- Education resource guides for books featured during the events. For example, find a resource guide for Jeff Kinney’s The Long Haul containing science lessons associated with heat expansion, Spanish language activities, and much more!
- Professional articles from The NCBLA which share best practices associated with literacy-sharing efforts on behalf of educators, parents, and coaches, one of which delves into “Creating a Literacy-Rich Environment for Your Students.”
- Reading Rockets professional articles, as well, such as: “Hooking Struggling Readers: Using Books They Can and Want to Read!”
- Blog posts from Reading Rockets, for instance, “Jason Reynolds: The Beauty of Words is Magic.”
- A COMPLETE page on Graphic Novel and Comic Book Resources which provides information on using graphic novels in the classroom, graphic novel booklists, using comic books in the classroom, and articles and interviews written and conducted by Brigid Alverson, editor for School Library Journal. And, last, but not least:
- A listing of an additional selection of author interviews with event participants, such as a Reading Rockets interview of Rita Williams-Garcia.
Santa certainly believes you deserve lots of presents for helping to elevate the literacy levels of students and children all over the country, and, deservedly, has filled your stocking to the brim, with NCBLA’s elf-like assistance, that is!